Easter event courts all sorts

April 20, 2017

Echuca's Leanne More won the A/B women's singles.

A blueberry and dinosaur were just some of the costumes out on the courts.

Rich River's Deagan Tomkins in action.

AFTER four mammoth days, the Echuca Lawn Tennis Club’s Easter tournament is all wrapped up for another year.

Five-hundred and sixty players, including a blueberry, a dinosaur and a pair of Heinekens, took to the courts during the long-weekend’s knock-out event with 799 entries in total across the singles, doubles and mixed events.

Echuca’s Leanne More was the only trophy holder out of the district’s players, taking out the women’s A/B singles, while Rich River’s Deagan Tomkins and Joshua Bavich played off for third and fourth in the 15-and-under men’s singles.

More played her first singles on Friday in the open women’s but lost in the first match to Jill Meggs 2-6, 0-6.

She had more success on the Saturday, downing Rebecca Bytheway 8-6 to make the semi-finals on Monday.

An 8-5 win saw her through to the final where she took on Natalie Harwood for the silverware and came out on top with ease, 8-1.

More also competed in the A-mixed with her son Ryan and made it through round one on Sunday (8-3) before bowing out later that day 5-8.

Tomkins and Bavich paired up for the B men’s doubles although lost in the first match against an experienced pairing in Barry Golightly and Brett Robinson, 1-8.

They managed to avoid each other in the 15-and-under singles and both made it through to the semi-finals to claim third and fourth.

Off the tennis court there was an army of volunteers from the ELTC and Moama-Echuca Border Raiders Soccer Club working tirelessly throughout the four days providing catering, and helping in the clean-up and other duties.

Tournament manager Amy Gledhill, president Brian Gledhill, treasurer Ian Sinnett, secretary Phil Higgins and Joshua Platt ensured the event ran smoothly, recording results and tabulating draws.

Anne Higgins and Leanne Gledhill were in the kitchen every day preparing food and selling them in the canteen, while Rob McGregor and Ryan More worked behind the bar with the assistance of various helpers.

The tournament would not have run as smoothly as it did without their time and dedication.

It was an achievement in itself to get all games completed by 4pm on Monday considering the club was pushed for available day-light hours.

More in Riverine Herald
Login Sign Up

Dummy text