News

Teenagers charged for McDonald’s bomb hoax

by
October 02, 2017

TWO teenage girls have been arrested over the bomb hoax at Echuca McDonald’s last week.

TWO teenage girls have been arrested over the bomb hoax at Echuca McDonald’s last week.

Echuca detectives on Friday interviewed the Echuca girls, aged 14 and 15, over manufacturing and depositing a fake explosive device, as well as making series of false reports to Echuca police in the days leading up to the event.

Both teens were charged with intending a bomb hoax — place article/substance, bomb hoax — make statement/convey information and making false reports to police.

They were both bailed to appear at a Children’s Court on December 19.

Victoria Police’s bomb squad was called up from Melbourne after the discovery of the suspicious package, which had allegedly been rigged to look like a bomb, in a toilet cubicle about 9am. The fast food business was evacuated and cordoned off for several hours while police investigated.

Sergeant Liam Maher of Echuca Police said there had been no risk at any stage to people and surrounding premises.

“The package was found in a well-hidden place, behind the S-bend of the toilet, by an employee,’’ he said.

The package contained a timing device and a suspicious but non-explosive white powder.

The bomb squad deployed its robot to investigate the package.

By
More in Riverine Herald
Login Sign Up

Dummy text