ABOUT 18 hay bales went up in a ball of flames after the truck carrying them caught fire at Strathallan yesterday morning.
Rochester, Tongala, Echuca and Echuca Village brigades attended the fire on Rochester-Strathallan Rd about 9.10am.
‘‘It seemed to be just bad luck, it looked as though the fire started as a result of a malfunction, possibly the exhaust,’’ CFA Campaspe Shire district 20 operations officer John Cutting said.
‘‘The units that attended the scene were able to contain the fire pretty quickly but they had to stay for a little while mopping it all up and checking for hot spots.’’
A front end loader was then called in to remove the burnt and smouldering hay from the back of the 8-10 tonne truck.
Meanwhile, seven firefighters from the Mathoura RFS brigade got a call out for a grass fire which had started near the town about 3.30pm on Tuesday.
About five to six hectares was burnt in the fire, caused by farm machinery when a farmer was cutting his hay.