News

Wanted man arrested over harrassing juror

by
February 28, 2018

A MAN convicted of manslaughter has been extradited from Echuca to NSW to face sentencing over contacting and harrassing a juror involved in his trial.

A MAN convicted of manslaughter has been extradited from Echuca to NSW to face sentencing over contacting and harrassing a juror involved in his trial.

Mark Andrew Bollen, 56, was arrested in Echuca on Monday as part of a cross-border operation between Echuca and Deniliquin police.

He appeared in Echuca Magistrates Court yesterday where his bail was refused and he was extradited to NSW to face Deniliquin Local Court later that day.

Senior Constable Stephen Baker of Deniliquin police told the Echuca court Bollen was convicted of manslaughter in Grafton Supreme Court in 1997, serving five years and two months in jail.

‘‘While in custody, he obtained information from the Attorney General in response to the trial and, in error, has been supplied with a list of the jurors,’’ he said.

‘‘In 2001, he contacted a jury member in Grafton and had a conversation with her in breach of the Jury Act, which is an indictable offence punishable by up to seven years’ jail.’’

On December 2, 2002, Bollen was convicted in Lismore Local Court for two counts of disclosing any information likely to disclose the identity of a juror and one count of harassing a juror to get information regarding deliberations.

He was due to be sentenced on these matters two weeks later, but failed to appear, resulting in three conviction warrants issued for his arrest.

‘‘He will be looking at a period of imprisonment for the offences, so he is a flight risk,’’ Snr Constable Baker said.

‘‘We have grave concerns now that the matter has been brought to a head that if he was given bail, he would attempt to contact, threaten or intimidate the jurors.’’

However, Bollen said he did no longer have the jurors’ contact information and had no interest in contacting them.

Bollen, who has been living in a caravan in the Echuca and Benalla areas on and off since 2011, said he became aware of the warrants in May last year and handed himself in to police in Queensland and Tasmania.

‘‘They just weren’t interested,’’ he said.

He also said he went to Moama police station twice but no-one was there and no-one answered the phone.

‘‘I have not avoided police. I have waited for them,’’ he said.

‘‘Nobody seems to be taking the matter too seriously.’’

However, magistrate Sarah Leighfield said Bollen had not made enough of an effort to deal with these matters and was not confident he would appear in court if she released him on bail.

She remanded him in custody to appear in Deniliquin Local Court where he was further remanded to the same court on March 5.

By
More in Riverine Herald
Login Sign Up

Dummy text