News

Court short by a hollow promise says Walsh

by
April 17, 2018

MEMBER for Murray Plains Peter Walsh used State Parliament last week to call on the Victorian Government to fully fund the promised Echuca Courthouse upgrade in the May Budget.

On May 2, 2016 Attorney General Martin Pakula and Member for Northern Victoria Jaclyn Symes came to Echuca to announce a $1.1 million upgrade to make the courthouse safe and deliver on the key recommendations from the Royal Commission into Family Violence.

“It is not good enough that almost two years are gone and the upgrade has not proceeded,” Mr Walsh said. “As we have come to expect from this Melbourne centric Labor Government, the announcement came before planning was done.

“It was not until after the government funding announcement that Court Services Victoria began the planning required to deliver the project.”

Mr Walsh said the failure on the part of the Andrews Labor Government, coupled with the resultant time lapse, has now presented a further issue in that the project is underfunded by at least $1 million.

“The onus is on Daniel Andrews and his Melbourne Labor Government to honour its promise and not leave the ratepayers of the Shire of Campaspe picking up the shortfall,” he said.

“One of the key recommendations of the Royal Commission into Family Violence was to actually have safe courthouses.

“Echuca Courthouse is not safe.

“This project was promised to the community in 2016 and it must be delivered. I call on the government to ensure additional funding is allocated.’’

By
More in Riverine Herald
Login Sign Up

Dummy text