News

Bail is denied for an attack on ex-partner

by
May 14, 2018

A MAN who allegedly threatened his ex-partner with a syringe and hit her over the head with a scooter has been denied bail.

A MAN who allegedly threatened his ex-partner with a syringe and hit her over the head with a scooter has been denied bail.

The 28-year-old man appeared via videolink from the Metropolitan Remand Centre in Echuca Magistrates Court on Wednesday charged with a raft of charges including persistently breaching a family violence intervention order, handling stolen goods and dealing with proceeds of crime.

The court heard a final family violence IVO was granted in the same court on September 13, 2017.

‘‘This was a full order which prohibited the accused of coming and remaining within 10m of the affected family member and 200m of anywhere she lives, works or attends school or childcare,’’ police prosecutor Sergeant Mark Snell said.

‘‘On December 8, 2017 at 10.53pm Echuca police were patrolling Murray Esplanade, Echuca when they observed the accused and the affected person sitting in a car.

‘‘When they saw the police they attempted to walk away and ignored the police.’’

Sergeant Snell told the court there were eight other incidents where the man breached the order.

‘‘The family violence matters escalated from just being with the affected member to physical violence and the prosecution opposes granting the accused bail,’’ he said.

The court heard one of the incidents saw the man follow the woman near the Echuca library.

‘‘He approached her and asked for $10,’’ Sgt Snell said.

‘‘She said no and left on her push bike. The accused followed her on a scooter.

‘‘The two got into an argument and were wrestling when a bottle of wine the woman was carrying smashed on the ground.

‘‘He took her bag with $100 in it before following her into the public toilets.’’

Sgt Snell said the accused took a syringe out of the victims bag and threatened her with it.

‘‘The accused then hit her over the head with his scooter causing a large lump,’’ he said.

The accused then took off with the victims handbag.

The prosecution said the accused was an ‘‘unacceptable risk’’ of further offending if bailed.

‘‘There are concerns the accused will interfere with the prosecution witnesses,’’ Sgt Snell said.

But defence lawyer Matt Mahady, who was acting for the Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service, said there was a rehab bed waiting for him.

‘‘We have secured a bed at Odyssey House in Eltham,’’ he said. ‘‘They have a stringent regime and strict conditions in terms of rehabilitation.’’

The court also heard the accused had been abusing methamphetamine since 2015.

Magistrate Andrew McKenna wasn’t convinced the accused would comply with bail conditions and refused the application.

He has spent 45 days in prison.

By
More in Riverine Herald
Login Sign Up

Dummy text