News

A year behind bars for man after attack

By Riverine Herald

A KYABRAM man who strangled, kicked, bit and jumped on his then partner because he didn’t want her to go to a party will spend 12 months behind bars.

The offender appeared via videolink in Echuca Magistrates Court on Wednesday, pleading guilty to recklessly causing injury, false imprisonment, reckless conduct endangering life and breach of a family violence intervention order.

The court heard the man attacked the female victim on July 7, 2018 after he woke up to find her getting ready to go to a party.

‘‘The victim woke up and attempted to wake the accused, but he told her to ‘f*** off’,’’ police prosecutor Acting Sergeant Sally Mannell said.

‘‘When the accused woke up he found the victim almost ready to leave for the party. He yelled at her and told her not to go.’’

The court heard the man then grabbed the woman’s hair and arm and began to kick her and jump on her.

‘‘He then took a large knife and held it to his own chest, threatening to stab himself if she left,’’ Acting Sgt Mannell said.

‘‘The victim fled to the bedroom at the back of the house and began texting her friends, asking for help, but no one replied.

‘‘When the accused found her in the bedroom he demanded the victim’s mobile but she refused.

‘‘He then pushed her back onto the bed and began to strangle her. She couldn’t inhale, but only exhale. When he finally let her go she couldn’t speak and began to cry.’’

The woman placed her knee on the man’s chest in an attempt to push him away so she could escape.

‘‘The accused then bit her on her left forearm and left shoulder, then pushed her into the bathroom,’’ Acting Sgt Mannell said.

‘‘The woman attempted unsuccessfully to climb out the bathroom window. The accused dragged her back in as she tried to escape and began hitting her.

‘‘When the victim’s mother arrived later, the victim escaped on foot.’’

The prosecutor said the offender had since made multiple calls, texts and social media posts making threats to the victim’s family or threatening he would harm or kill himself.

The man’s defence lawyer Clare Wilkin said her client had been affected by methamphetamine at the time and asked the man be handed a corrections order.

‘‘But this happened one month after his last corrections order finished. What does that say?’’ magistrate John Bentley said.

The man was placed under a two-year full intervention order to protect his ex-partner and sentenced to 12 months in jail, including 102 days already served, with a non-parole period of five months.