Super2 driver Zak Best was hoping to ring in his 19th birthday scaling the heights of Mount Panorama next month.
But a change to the Supercars Championship schedule - the Bathurst 1000 has been delayed by one week – meant Best was looking at a birthday spent under strict border quarantine.
Now even that's been scratched, after Supercars confirmed the second-tier competition would not act as a support at the final Supercars event on October 15-18.
Despite the hiccup, the Super2 Series is not necessarily over for the year, with Supercars signaling the possibility the series could still race at standalone events in November and December.
Only two rounds of the Super2 series have been held this year, the first in Adelaide in February and the second in Sydney in July.
In a statement from Supercars, the costs of quarantining were cited as a major reason the Bathurst race was cancelled, with competitors having to foot the bill for a fortnight in hotel quarantine.
“Supercars would like to advise all Dunlop Super2 Teams that unfortunately the category won’t be attending this year’s Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000,” the statement read.
“Due to the various COVID-19 border closures, it was agreed that the costs associated with mandatory quarantine periods before and after the event were too excessive for a large number of entrants in the category.
“Border closures will continue to be monitored and talks are continuing with owners and circuit operators around potential DS2 rounds in 2020 beyond the conclusion of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship, including standalone events in November and December.
“Nothing is confirmed, details of any potential extension of the series will be announced in due course.”
With his eyes firmly set on when he can next race though, Best said he was continuing to put in the hard yards with all his preparation.
Best said he had been able to maintain his training schedule under stage three restrictions in Benalla, with workouts up to three times a week.