Marshall speaks about injury

By Daniel Hughes

A fractured right thumb will see Port Adelaide’s emerging youngster Todd Marshall miss up to six weeks of footy.

The Deniliquin product suffered the injury during the third quarter of the Power’s suffocating loss against St Kilda — 12.1(73) to 6.8 (44) — on Saturday night. 

Marshall took the full force of a St Kilda boot when he was seen smothering a kick in the third quarter. 

Todd Marshall holds his hand after injuring his thumb on Saturday. ps8Photo courtesy AAP Image/David Mariuz.
Todd Marshall holds his hand after injuring his thumb on Saturday. Photo courtesy AAP Image/David Mariuz.

He was supported off the field by medical staff before heroically returning shortly after, not to leave his side short on the roster. 

‘‘I smothered the ball away from his boot and copped the full kick on my thumb, and felt it straight away,’’ he told the Deniliquin Pastoral Times.

‘‘I went off and got it checked, strapped and came back on.

‘‘It was still sore playing and I struggled to mark and handball, but didn’t want to leave the team one rotation down.’’

Within the next 24 hours the 21 year-old Marshall underwent a successful surgery to repair the thumb.

‘‘Surgery went well. I was in and out quick on Sunday, and have just been resting and trying to keep the pain down,’’ he said.

‘‘I will have to wear a cast/splint on it for four weeks so hopefully I am able to find my touch quickly once able to train and only miss around four to six (weeks); but I will have to wait and see.’’

It is now a race against time to recover with the final nine games of the season expected to fall in seven or eight weeks. 

Marshall has played in each of the Powers’ eight games this year and has looked comfortable in his role alongside Coleman Medal contender Charlie Dixon.


After missing the last three rounds with a right shoulder injury, Deniliquin’s Sam Lloyd saw his first action back for the Western Bulldogs on Wednesday night.

It was a game to forget unfortunately, with Lloyd having a quiet game against his former club Richmond. 

Lloyd was traded to the Dogs from Richmond after the 2018 season.

The game featured little highlights for Lloyd and the Dogs as the Tigers tightened the leash, keeping them in the kennel as they ran amok.

The Tigers took out a monster 13.12 (90) to 7.7 (49) win.

Lloyd only managed six disposals (four kicks and two handballs), one mark and one tackle for no score during the clash.

He will look to make a quick rebound with only five days to recover before he faces off against a Marshall-less Port Adelaide on Monday night at Adelaide Oval.