THE Farmer’s Store was erected for Mr B. Goddard and Son on the former site of Johnson and Forge in Allan St, Kyabram in 1890.
Johnson and Forge, Drapers and General Merchants, had purchased an acre of land in early 1885 for £80 cash.
In 1888 their partnership was dissolved and the Yeomanry Association purchased the property and ran a store.
This was short lived, as the Yeomanry Store burnt down in August 1889.
Benjamin Goddard, an early pioneer of the area, then purchased the land and established B. Goddard and Son Farmer’s Store.
A name change was later made to The Farmer's Store — B. Goddard and Co.
The business was sold in July 1906 to Mr W. Pratt of Swan Hill.
Benjamin Goddard died in 1912 aged 78.
He was one of the most prominent men of the time who played a major part in the early development of Kyabram (including secretary of the Kyabram Reform Movement) and was affectionately known as B.G. throughout the Goulburn Valley.
Goddard Rd and Goddard St are named after him.
As a matter of interest, there is an advertisement on the front of the store for Cadbury's cocoa.
The site is now occupied by Surf N Skate and Fashion Girl.
● Compiled by Eileen Sullivan, voluntary librarian of the Kyabram Historical Society.