AAP Rugby

Broncos eager for Ofahengaue NRL decision

By AAP Newswire

Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold hopes to know sooner rather than later whether Joe Ofahengaue will be available for the start of the NRL season.

The 24-year-old is subject of an investigation by the NRL integrity unit after pleading guilty earlier this month to being in charge of a motor vehicle with a blood-alcohol level of 0.136.

Media reports suggest the 24-year-old will be slapped with a three-game ban but Seibold claimed on Thursday he's none the wiser on what sanctions Ofahengaue was facing.

"We're waiting for them to make their decision," Seibold said.

"Hopefully sooner rather than later, that way we can get some clarity and also give Joe some clarity as well.

"He's obviously a little bit anxious about finding out whether he can play round one or not."

If Ofahengaue is unavailable it will mean the Broncos will go into the new season without two key forwards after Matt Lodge's knee injury last week.

Maori All Stars representative Jordan Riki is one option along with last year's mid-season recruit Rhys Kennedy.

"We'll have a look at those guys," Seibold said.

"We'll have a look at where we play Tavita (Pangai Jr), whether it's back row or through the middle as well.

"One thing we do have is we've got some depth in the middle. Young players, no doubt about that, but there's plenty of depth there and plenty of guys looking for an opportunity."