SOUTH Australian Premier Steven Marshall has been asked to intervene in an 11th-hour bid to help an 83-year-old Echuca woman move to her new home in the Adelaide Hills after that state’s border with Victoria was locked down at midnight Tuesday.
Jan Main has sold her Mt Terrick Rd home, which is due to settle on Friday.
The widow has already bought her new home, in a retirement village at Woodside, but received a call from Adelaide saying because of the border restrictions she would not be able to come.
“I was very upset with the call,” Jan said.
“We have to be out of the house Thursday and it would have meant we would be homeless.
“Fortunately, we turned to Peter Walsh and he has been such a help – he got onto the South Australian Premier and we were given an address to email for an exemption.
“If it doesn’t come in time, Peter has been able to arrange some short-term emergency accommodation until we can go.”
Mr Walsh said Jan was another victim of the efforts to contain Victoria’s soaring COVID-19 infection numbers.
“I would like to thank Cunningham Downs for its support if needed; just another great example of the Echuca-Moama community helping those who need it,” he said.
Mr Walsh said SA must be getting swamped with exemption requests but he was hopeful Jan would have a positive response before the end of the week.
Jan has lived on Mt Terrick Rd for the past 27 years and was horrified at the thought of having no home.
“I’m 83 years old — and at my age, that’s very stressful,” she said.
The stress of that as well as selling her house, which was put on the market in November, has seen the breast cancer survivor lose 12 kg in just a few months.
“It’s been a long saga and nothing has gone right,” the part-pensioner said.
“I have been a widow for five years, and since then I have managed a two-acre property without any problems, but I’m finding I’m falling in a heap because of this and that’s not me.
“It’s very emotionally upsetting.”
MORE BORDER NEWS