IN THE Wednesday, August 21 edition of the Riverine Herald, an article was included regarding an honour being bestowed upon Dr Bernard Quin.
However, many years before Dr Quin was posthumously included in a Group Bravery Citation from the Governor-General, the Echuca Cricket Association showed their respect to one of their former players.
Quinn, who was previously a doctor in Echuca, was murdered on the islands of Nauru in retaliation to a bombing raid by the US Air Force.
While Quin was not a serving member of the armed forces at the time of his death, he was honoured alongside a number of former servicemen at the end of the war.
The ECA commissioned the Second World War Memorial Shield, a trophy which would be presented to the winner of the season's competition.
The trophy was inscribed "Presented by members of the Echuca Cricket Association and dedicated to the memory of the undermentioned members who gave their lives in the war."
The names inscribed are J E Frazer, H C (Bill) McKenzie, F J F Mitchell, L Phillips, G Ritchie, B H Quin and F Innes.
The trophy was first presented in 1947-48 to Torrumbarry, a team who would be the most regular winners of the shield.
The association presented it for the final time in the 1983-'84 season, with Echuca South the final champions.
The shield was replaced by the Jock Phyland Memorial Shield, which would be presented until the 1990-'91 season, when the Echuca Cricket Association was merged into the Campaspe Cricket Association.