DELWP issues wildlife licence reminder

By Seymour Telegraph

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) is reminding people who own protected native wildlife they need to renew their commercial licences.

State-wide there are nearly 10000 wildlife licences issued to private or commercial operators.

Common protected wildlife kept by private and commercial licence holders in Victoria are the Green Tree Frog, Australian King Parrot and Central Bearded Dragon Lizards.

‘‘Keeping protected native wildlife in Victoria is a privilege which comes with significant responsibilities,’’ DELWP regional manager environmental compliance Nathan Stamkos said.

‘‘The annual licence process allows us to monitor the number and type of wildlife which are being kept legally across our region.

‘‘We want to remind people that anyone in possession of protected wildlife must have a valid licence.’’

Mr Stamkos said a considerable amount of people were yet to the renew their commercial licences.

‘‘Under the Wildlife Act 1975, it is an offence to possess or trade protected wildlife without a valid licence and it is the licence-holder’s obligation to understand and abide by the conditions of their licence,’’ he said.

‘‘Private and commercial wildlife licences are valid for a period of either 12 months or three years and range from $7.22 to $826.54, depending on the type of licence they need.

‘‘It is illegal for people to take native animals from the wild, and this includes injured or orphaned wildlife.

‘‘If people find injured native wildlife they should take them to an authorised wildlife shelter as soon as possible.

‘‘These regulations are important and ensure wild populations of native species are protected and continue to live in Victoria’s natural environment.’’

If people are aware of wildlife that has been taken or suspected of being taken from the wild, they can report it to DELWP’s customer service centre on 136186.

To locate and contact your closest wildlife carers and rehabilitation shelter visit,

For more information on wildlife licences, visit