Victoria Police issued a total of 163 fines to individuals for breaching the Chief Health Officer directions, including:
- 21 for failing to wear a face covering when leaving home for one of the four approved reasons
- 27 at vehicle checkpoints
- 55 for curfew breaches
Police checked 19,289 vehicles at checkpoints and conducted 3293 spot checks on people at homes, businesses and public places across the state (total of 378,635 spot checks conducted since March 21).
Examples from the past 24 hours of breaches include:
- Three men intercepted in a vehicle in Darebin during curfew hours who stated they had been at a friend’s house for dinner.
- A man located driving in Port Melbourne who had travelled to visit a mate in Greenvale, then to the beach during curfew hours and stated it was “a nice night for a drive.”
- Three men located hiding in a shed at a property in Wyndham after police were called to a noise complaint. One of the males stated he was visiting friends at this address and did not live there.