Mixed results for Border Raiders as finals edge closer

By Riverine Herald

Men: The Border Raiders travelled to Shepparton United on Sunday and came away with a hard fought 2-all draw.

Both teams started well as the Raiders created the game’s first opportunity but were denied by the woodwork.

Shepparton United took advantage and were able to score first from a corner.

This spurred the Raiders on and as a result they were able to equalise two minutes later through Adam Richardson.

Just minutes later Cooper Arkinstall converted after strong play through midfield which allowed the Raiders to take a one goal advantage into half-time.

Unfortunately the Raiders allowed Shepparton United to score immediately just minutes into the second half with either side failing to break the deadlock for the remainder of the game.

Co-coach Simon Arkinstall said Shepparton deserved plenty of credit for their second half performance.

‘‘United’s defensive unit did a great job to keep us scoreless in the second 45,’’ he said.

‘‘It was very similar to the first half where we created a lot of opportunities but weren’t able to convert our chances.’’

Fullback Austin Linahan was key in the Border Raiders sharing the points, playing arguably his best match of the season according to Arkinstall.

‘‘Austin managed to nullify the United’s most dangerous attacks,’’ he said.

‘‘When the ball was in dangerous areas he continued to be in the right place. It was the sort of performance which gives you a lot of confidence as a coach.’’

‘‘But he wasn’t alone, Adam Richardson and Lachlan Arkinstall had strong games in midfield and are in good form.

‘‘Up front Cooper Arkinstall and Adam Brady continued to create problems for the opposition.’’

U12: The U12s played Strathdale City and found themselves under pressure early in the game, with goalkeeper Toto Ajiboye having to make several saves.

However Strathdale’s pressure paid off and they led 1-0 at the break.

In the second half, Ethan Anthony scored two goals in five minutes, as Patrick Barry scored from long distance.

Nathaniel Anthony was causing havoc in attack, with Mason Bayley and Flynn Gilbert strong in defence.

City hit back with their second, however good midfield play from Seth Turri set up Marco Maxwell to score the Raiders fourth and seal a 4-2 win.

U14s: Saturday saw our young Border Raiders take on ladder leaders Epsom.

Our defence, led by Lachie Sands in goals worked hard all day, consistently repelling Epsom attacks time and time again.

Some wonderful reflex saves by Lachie and some excellent goal line clearances by Noah Mundie kept the team in the contest at half time.

The second half saw Charlie Mundie, Mitchell Wilson and Asha Davies work hard in defence before pushing the ball forward through midfield.

Unfortunately, the Border Raiders couldn’t stop all the attacking threats, going down 9-0.
U16s: The under 16s travelled to face Epsom Scorpions on Saturday.

The Scorpions defeated title challengers Spring Gully the previous week and the boys knew it would be a tough challenge.

However, the Border Raiders proved up to the challenge coming away with a 5-0 win under tough conditions.

Marshalled by Connor Turner at the back, the team put in one of their most convincing displays of 2019.

Andy Martin linked up well with the midfielders and completed his hat trick in the 60th minute to put the result beyond doubt.

The under 16s have been performing well in the back end of the season and are looking forward to finals football in September.